Re: Romans 1:16,17 - The antecedent of EN AUTW

From: Carl W. Conrad (
Date: Sat Feb 12 2000 - 21:23:42 EST

At 6:12 PM -0800 2/12/00, John Wilking wrote:
>F.F. Bruce tried to make the point that APOKALUYAI TON hUION AUTOU EN EMOI
>in Galations 1:16 should or could be translated "reveal his son to me." We
>also have FANERON ESTIN EN AUTOIS in Romans 1:19 which James Dunn translates
>as "is evident to them." The prepositional phrase seems to be equivalent to
>the following AUTOIS in the same verse. It seems that EN may have the idea
>of "to". Perhaps it has this meaning when it is collocated with certain

Meaning, I suppose, with verbs of showing? I remain quite unconvinced,
although I respect Bruce and Dunn; I could accept "among them" or "in their
midst" for EN AUTOIS, but not "to them"; and in Gal 1:16 I could accept EN
EMOI as "by me" or "through my agency" but I'm not yet ready to accept EN +
dative as expressing a dative of reference or indirect object. Again, with
all due respect to Bruce and Dunn, I'd need to see on what basis they want
to argue that EN + dative in those verses has the force of an ordinary
dative of indirect object.

Anybody else have some input into this question?

Carl W. Conrad