Re: Romans 1:16,17 - The antecedent of EN AUTW

From: Eric S. Weiss (
Date: Mon Feb 14 2000 - 09:52:10 EST

Does ruling out "to them" for EN AUTWi - i.e., a dative of reference -
still allow for the earlier suggestion that EN AUTWi is a locative with the
antecedent being PANTI TWi PISTEUONTI - i.e., "the righteousness of God is
revealed IN HIM (i.e., each one who believes)..."?

I personally feel this is not what Paul is saying. I agree with the usual
translation (i.e., TO EUAGGELION is the antecedent) - as in 1:18 God's
wrath is revealed FROM HEAVEN (i.e., a place/thing), so in 1:17 God's
righteousness is revealed in/by a thing (i.e., the Gospel).