Re: Romans 3:21,22 PEFANERWTAI - Verbal Ellipsis

From: John Wilking (johnwilking@hotmail.com)
Date: Mon Feb 21 2000 - 23:18:36 EST

<x-flowed>

>From: "Carl W. Conrad" <cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu>
>To: "John Wilking" <johnwilking@hotmail.com>
>CC: Biblical Greek <b-greek@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
>Subject: Re: Romans 3:21,22 PEFANERWTAI - Verbal Ellipsis
>Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2000 05:36:17 -0600
>
>At 8:01 PM -0800 2/20/00, John Wilking wrote:
> >Can we read PEFANERWTAI as the missing verb in Romans 3:22 and thus read
>it
> >as DIKAIOSUNN DE QEOU PEFANERWTAI...EIS PANTAS TOUS PISTEUONTAS?
>
>3:20 DIOTI EX ERGWN NOMOU OU DIKAIWQHSETAI PASA SARX ENWPION AUTOU, DIA GAR
>NOMOU EPIGNWSIS hAMARTIAS. 21 NUNI DE CWRIS NOMOU DIKAIOSUNH QEOU
>PEFANERWTAI MARTUROUMENH hUPO TOU NOMOU KAI TWN PROFHTWN. 22 DIKAIOSUNH DE
>QEOU DIA PISTEWS IHSOU CRISTOU EIS PANTAS TOUS PISTEUONTAS. OU GAR ESTIN
>DIASTOLH. 23 PANTES GAR hHMARTON KAI hUSTEROUNTAI THS DOXHS TOU QEOU 24
>DIKAOUMENOI DWREAN THi AUTOU CARITI DIA THS APOLUTRWSEWS THS EN CRISTWi
>IHSOU ...
>
>(Sorry, I have to see the whole relevant text and context before judging
>this and would want what I have to say understood in terms of that whole
>relevant text and context.)
>
>I'm not quite sure what you're trying to suggest about verse 22; if it's
>that "all who believe" are the RECIPIENTS of the REVELATION of God's
>righteousness, then I would disagree with that reading of the text--i.e. in
>any way suggesting that EIS PANTAS TOUS PISTEUONTAS is an indirect object
>of the passive verb. I rather think that EIS PANTAS TOUS PISTEUONTAS means
>"with respect to everyone who believes"--since what follows immediately
>seems intended to clarify the PANTAS: there is no differentiation between
>sinners and non-sinners because there aren't any non-sinners. Therefore I
>think I'd be willing to accept an implicit PEFANERWTAI in verse 22 if we
>understand verse 22 to mean: "God's righteousness effected by means of
>faith in/of Jesus Christ stands revealed as bearing upon everyone who
>believes." But I'm not sure whether that is what you mean by supplying
>PEFANERWTAI in verse 22 and linking it to EIS PANTAS TOUS PISTEUONTAS (if
>that's what you're doing--but you may be simply indicating the end of the
>clause).

Yes, I'm asking if we can supply PEFANERWTAI and make EIS PANTAS TOUS
PISTEUONTAS the indirect object. I've seen a couple other sentences that
have EIS in the same role:

EI DEKAI IDIWTHS TWi LOGWi, ALL' OU THi YNWSEI, ALL' EN PANTI FANERWSANTES
EN PASIN EIS hUMAS. II Cor 11:6

EFANERWQH ES TOUS hELLHNAS DAPANHiSI MEGISTHiSI Hdt.6.122

I'm not asking a question about interpretation, just whether it is
grammatically possible.

John