Re: Didache 12:5

From: Jeffrey B. Gibson (
Date: Mon Feb 21 2000 - 08:09:53 EST

Bill Rodgers wrote:

> Bart: I think "Christmonger" is an excellent translation of XRISTEMPOROS!!! Not
> only is it colorful, but it is also quite accurate. The word "monger" may not be
> used that much nowadays, but I can not think of a better word. Vendor or hawker just
> do not match it.

One problem, however, is that (unless things have changed radically
since I moved from
there) in some circumstances in Britain, and therefore for British
ears, "monger" does
not have the pejorative connotation or tones that I think Bart wants to
convey. When one
wants to purchase some "hardware" (as in Ace hardware, not computer
supplies), one still
goes to the Ironmongers.

Jeffrey B. Gibson
7423 N. Sheridan Road #2A