Re: Didache 12:5

From: Stephen C. Carlson (
Date: Mon Feb 21 2000 - 09:43:03 EST

At 07:09 AM 2/21/00 -0600, Jeffrey B. Gibson wrote:
>One problem, however, is that (unless things have changed radically
>since I moved from there) in some circumstances in Britain, and
>therefore for British ears, "monger" does not have the pejorative
>connotation or tones that I think Bart wants to convey. When one
>wants to purchase some "hardware" (as in Ace hardware, not computer
>supplies), one still goes to the Ironmongers.

To my American ear, this neutral meaning of "monger" is unfamiliar,
and the word when used does have a pejorative connotation. For
example, in the 80s, it was not uncommon to hear Ronald Reagan
called a "warmonger." Your mileage will vary, of course, in other
English speaking countries.

Stephen Carlson

Stephen C. Carlson
Synoptic Problem Home Page
"Poetry speaks of aspirations, and songs chant the words."  Shujing 2.35