Re: Didache 12:5

From: Polycarp66@aol.com
Date: Mon Feb 21 2000 - 12:03:31 EST

In a message dated 2/21/2000 9:42:39 AM Central Daylight Time,
scarlson@mindspring.com writes:

<<
 To my American ear, this neutral meaning of "monger" is unfamiliar,
 and the word when used does have a pejorative connotation. For
 example, in the 80s, it was not uncommon to hear Ronald Reagan
 called a "warmonger." Your mileage will vary, of course, in other
 English speaking countries.

I suspect that the pejorative connotation comes not from the term itself but
from that with which it is connected. Being an "ironmonger" is an honorable
profession. Being a "warmonger" or a "Christmonger" is not since those are
things which are not to be sold.

Still, Paul did not seem to think that there was a stigma attached to being
supported by one's work in preaching the gospel though he preferred to follow
the Rabbinic practice of supporting himself. In 1 Cor 9 we read

 13 Do you not know that those who are employed in the temple service get
their food from the temple, and those who serve at the altar share in the
sacrificial offerings? 14 In the same way, the Lord commanded that those who
proclaim the gospel should get their living by the gospel.
 15 But I have made no use of any of these rights, nor am I writing this to
secure any such provision. For I would rather die than have any one deprive
me of my ground for boasting. 16 For if I preach the gospel, that gives me no
ground for boasting. For necessity is laid upon me. Woe to me if I do not
preach the gospel! 17 For if I do this of my own will, I have a reward; but
if not of my own will, I am entrusted with a commission. 18 What then is my
reward? Just this: that in my preaching I may make the gospel free of charge,
not making full use of my right in the gospel.

This would make an interesting study though I've already gone beyond the
b-greek limits since I'm not discussing Greek itself but theology.

gfsomsel