Re: Matthew 5:31-32 (Divorce)

From: Polycarp66@aol.com
Date: Wed Feb 23 2000 - 17:47:59 EST

In a message dated 2/23/2000 5:19:55 PM Central Daylight Time,
parousia_occ@yahoo.com writes:

<<
 How could Jesus, talking about morals, imply that if I don’t like my wife I
 can divorce her and SHE be guilty of adultery??? Wouldn't it be more
 likely that the passive word «MOICEUQHNAI» is to show that she is
 victimized by his decision? It is like: He divorces her and she is
 “adulterated” by him. Doesn’t that make more sense??

This was a bit of a puzzle to me too. There is one thing, however, that
changes the significance of the entire passage. That is the one word POIEI.
She may commit adultery (in the legal sense of the term), but he is the
cause. Who bears the responsibility?

gfsomsel