RE: Rom 3:22(Carl, Jasen, Polycarp)

From: Jason Hare (parousia_occ@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Feb 28 2000 - 17:08:13 EST

Ç This reading seems very natural. But I wonder if particle DE
in DIKAISUNE DE QEOU can be used to introduce a phrase that is
to be used as an apposition. Isn't DE a particle connecting a sentence
and another sentence? È

I don't think that DE has such a strong intent. It is weaker than that.
Often it is used in lists by many. Aristotle says,

Ç SUMBOULHS DE TO MEN PROTROPH TO DE APOTROPH: AEI GAR KAI hOI IDIA
SUMBOULEUONTES KAI hOI KOINH KHMHGOROUNTES TOUTWN QATERON POIOUSIN. DIKHS
DE TO MEN KATHGORIA TO D' APOLOGIA: TOUTWN GAR hOPOTERONOUN POIEIN ANAGKH
TOUS AMFISBHTOUNTAS. EPIDEIKTIKOU DE TO MEN EPAINOS TO DE YOGOS. È ("Art"
of Rhetoric, I.3.3)

I think it is used this way many times, not as the beginning of a sentence
necessarily, but just to list something. I know that this case in Romans 3
is not a list, but it serves the same purpose in his speech. His intent
was to carry on his topic and DE is a continuative particle, unlike ALLA
which is a disjunctive word looking for an opposite.

Jason Hare
Ozark Christian College