Re: 1 Tim 6.2: Who does the loving?

From: Wayne Leman (
Date: Sun Mar 05 2000 - 21:27:34 EST

<x-charset iso-8859-1>Carl concluded:

>So might it be possible to understand the epithet AGAPHTOI as
>applied to believers as implying always, "deserving of our mutual love"?
>That's what I think is the case, but I don't know that I can prove it at

You've made a very good case, Carl. I see it in a better light now. And I do
agree with you that the rhetorical *function* of a specific form (here, an
adjective) may be imperatival, in terms of overall function within the
discourse, rather than simply descriptive. We do much the same in English,
don't we, at least if we believe in posting gracious list messages! :)

Wayne Leman
Bible translation discussion list: