Re: Redup. in aorist

From: Carl W. Conrad (
Date: Tue Mar 07 2000 - 08:46:24 EST

At 7:26 AM -0600 3/7/00, Steven Craig Miller wrote:
>To: Carlton Winbery,
><< Here we see the very interesting occurrence of "swappance" in modern
>English. *Perhaps* becomes *Perphas* by this process which is sorta like
>swapping the castle with the queen in chess. >>
>Hmm ... I think you meant "like swapping the rook (aka the castle) with the
>king in Chess." The rook and queen can not swap places, but the king and
>rook do something very similar to swapping places (the king moves two
>squares towards the rook, and the rook is placed on the other side of the

And, I suppose, both processes could be termed METAQESIS, if we wanted (but
would we want?) to bring the matter back again to Greek.

Carl W. Conrad Department of Classics/Washington University One Brookings Drive/St. Louis, MO, USA 63130/(314) 935-4018 Home: 7222 Colgate Ave./St. Louis, MO 63130/(314) 726-5649 WWW: