Re: Teaching Greek

From: Paul J. Bodin (
Date: Wed Mar 01 2000 - 16:08:31 EST

On Wed, 1 Mar 2000 15:29:34, Tony Stark wrote:

> How much Greek do you need to learn, to adequately teach the language to
> others? One year,Two years, Three years or more?

All I can relate is my own experience. After a Greek minor in college
(3 years plus history courses, including Homeric, Attic and hellenistic
Greek), Greek readings and exegesis courses in seminary, years of
faithful reading, advanced courses in a biblical studies doctoral
program and a term serving as tutor while somebody else actually
taught, I still felt woefully unprepared to teach Greek.

I always did very well in Greek and feel I have retained the material
well; the problem is that teaching a language is a very demanding
undertaking. Teaching a language well requires a lot of grounding in
linguistics and pedagogical methods that doesn't really show to the
students. I have since taught elementary courses with more assurance
and lead intermediate and advanced reading groups. I still wish, every
time, that I knew more.

 Paul J. Bodin <>
    For PGP public key click
                    or check your favorite keyserver