Re: Participant Reference and Discourse Boundaries

From: clayton stirling bartholomew (
Date: Sun Mar 19 2000 - 16:13:08 EST

on 03/19/00 12:20 PM, David R. Mills wrote:

> I will use a breakdown of participant reference presented by Gustavo
> Martin-Asensio*:
> #1 Full Explicit Subject (proper noun used)
> #2 Abbreviated explicit subject (pronoun or article used)
> #3 Non-explicit subject (e.g., verb inflection for person)
> #4 Non-subject participant (e.g., direct or indirect object)
> I would suggest that what we see in Mk 6:16-17 is two level #0 participant
> references to hHRWiDHS. The first is EGW in verse 16 and the second is AUTOS
> hO hHRWiDHS in verse 17.
> ****
> I find this interesting, but I don't have Gustavo Martin-Asensio available.
> What is a level #0 participant?

No such thing as a level #0 participant.

#1-#4 are levels of participant reference prominence, level #0 is a level
with greater discourse prominence than level #1. This is just a extension of
the model to include levels of prominence which exceed a "Full Explicit
Subject (proper noun used)." This is the way I am using this model which may
not be at all acceptable to the author of the model (probably not). I simply
have appropriated the model for my current purpose which is to talk about
the use of participant reference to mark of discourse boundaries.

Clayton Stirling Bartholomew
Three Tree Point
P.O. Box 255 Seahurst WA 98062