Re: Causal meaning of EIS in NT?

From: clayton stirling bartholomew (c.s.bartholomew@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Mon Mar 20 2000 - 17:28:28 EST

<x-charset ISO-8859-1>on 03/20/00 5:51 AM, L. Tichy wrote:

> What do the B-Greekers think about the preposition EIS and its
> possible causal meaning in the New Testament Greek? There was some
> debate about the matter (pro and contra) at the beginning of the
> fifties in the Journal of Biblical Literature. There are some
> seemingly clear examples of a causal sense of EIS in the NT: e. g. not
> only EIS TI in Mt 14:31 and Mk 15:34, but also EIS TOUTO in Mk 1:38.
> But N. Turner in Moulton's Grammar of New Testament Greek, vol. III,
> p. 266s., is skeptical.
>

> Ladislav Tich›
> Faculty of theology
> Palack› University
> Olomouc
> Czech Republic

Edwards post on this prompted me to do some looking into the question. Louw
and Nida (89.48) have this to say about EIS & EN as a markers of causation:

*******
EIS & EN : markers of result, with the probable implication of a preceding
process ã åwith the result that, so that as a result, to cause.¼

. . .snip. . .

 It would be possible to interpret EIS ä AGW in Ro 2:4 as being purely an
expression of cause since AGW (see 36.1) also involves a component of
cause, and therefore one may interpret the expression EIS METNOIAN SE AGEI
as åit causes you to repent.¼ In either case, however, EIS marks a resulting
event or state . . .
*******

This is not really a counter example since AGW may include the notion of
causation and EIS may simply (only) mark a resulting event or state. However
it is another aspect of this question worth looking at.

--
Clayton Stirling Bartholomew
Three Tree Point