Re: A question from a novice!

From: Dmitriy Reznik (
Date: Sun Mar 19 2000 - 10:07:27 EST

On Sun, 19 Mar 2000 20:10:23 -0000 "Peter Osborne."
<> writes:
> Hi,
> I have a question on the definition of AGAPH: What distinguishes
> this word
> from other Greek words meaning love? From its usage in 1 John 3:16
> and
> elsewhere, I have always connected this word with self-sacrifice or
> self
> denial. However hardly any lexicons I have used seem to make this
> link. Am
> I correct in believing that AGAPH is self-denying love and this is
> what
> distinguishes it from other Greek words for love?
> Peter Osborne.

I don't think AGAPH is something very special. I found a significant
example of using this word in LXX, 2Sam 13:1-15. AGAPH or derived words
are used 4 times about feelings of Amnon. And his love definitely was not
a self-denying love.

Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!