A question about Qumran (off list)

From: Juan Stam (jstam@una.ac.cr)
Date: Thu Mar 23 2000 - 22:23:45 EST

<x-charset Windows-1252>I have a question I have tried to figure out for years without success, and
don't know where else to direct it than B-Greek, though it is about DSS
rather than GNT. If anyone can help me, off-list, I will be extremely
grateful.

My problem is that the titles (or classification) of the Qumran documents is
not consistent from translator to translator, or when the
code-identification is the same, and even the sub-clasification (columns,
verses, or whatever) they are often totally different. This is true
especially in the Psalms (Hodayoth). I use Florentino Garc╠a Martinez,
Vermes, Burroughs and Gaster. The later three often correspond, but the
Psalms in Garcia Martinez seem totally different.

Can anyone explain to me why this is so, or how I can find corresponding
passages in the different translations? Is this explained in any of the
Qumran literature?

Thank you for forgiving a non-GNT question and many thanks for any help
(off-line)

Juan Stam, Costa Rica

---