Re: "Bible study" approach to the meaning

From: AlphaLeigh@aol.com
Date: Thu Mar 23 2000 - 09:59:34 EST

Dear Dr. Conrad,

In a message dated 3/23/2000 8:11:37 AM Central Standard Time,
cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu writes:

> That having been said, however, it's hardly to be
> doubted that the church developed its own jargon and there's some evidence
> for it; I'd guess that BAPTIZW has a pretty limited and specialized usage
> already in the GNT.

I thought Jay was referring to the likelihood of jargon having developed in
various fields of secular endeavor. If so, one would need to learn the most
likely profession of the writer and time of writing as well as the intended
audience, all too difficult to determine at this time, no doubt.

I'd like to add, for the record, that jargon develops to facilitate, not
hinder communication. Ignorance of vocabulary is what hinders it.

Richard H. Leigh
(B.A. in Behavioral Science,
California Polytechnic University, Pomona, CA)
St. Louis, MO