Titus 2:15

From: Mike Sangrey (mike@sojurn.lns.pa.us)
Date: Fri Mar 24 2000 - 10:57:00 EST

  Titus 2:15 -
    TAUTA LALEI KAI PARAKALEI KAI ELEGCE META PASHS EPITAGHS:

My question is: Could EPITAGHS be used in a a collective sense here?

The translation would be something like:
  These things [should be brought about by] teaching, encouraging, and
  rebuking, with the whole body of commands [as your support].

The idea being Titus did not have the authority in and of himself,
but he brought with him the whole body of commands. (I know the verbs aren't
participles, but how one 'rebukes these things' escapes me. ELEGCW: L&N
33.417.)

Additionally, I'd like to point out:
   Titus 2:1 -- SU DE LALEI hA PREPEI THi hUGIAINOUSHi DIDASKALIAi.
and
   Titus 2:6 -- TOUS NEWTEROUS hWSAUTWS PARAKALEI SWFRONEIN:
Note LALEW and PARAKALEW.

Lastly, Louw & Nida (L&N) have:
  33.326 EPITAGH(A), DIATAGH, DIATAGMA: (derivatives of EPITASSW
  and DIATASSW(A) 'to order, to instruct' 33.325) that which has
  been specifically ordered or commaned -- 'order, command, decree,
  ordinance, instruction.'

  37.42 EPITAGH(B): the right or authority to command--'right to
  command, authority to command, authority.'

Then they cite the above verse. However, they go on to say, "It is
also possible to translate this expression in Titus 2.15 as 'show
that you have every right to command when you rebuke them.'"

Which I think sounds very close to what I have above. But,
additionally, I see that the "right to command" comes from the
commands themselves.

Thanks ahead of time, again.

--
Mike Sangrey