Re: Luke 22:44

From: Steven R. Lo Vullo (doulos@chorus.net)
Date: Tue Mar 28 2000 - 00:59:13 EST

<x-charset iso-8859-1>Dave,

I don't think so, since both hIDRWS and QROMBOI are nominative and as so
form the comparison indicated by hWSEI. Your translation seems to treat
hIDRWS as a genitive modifying QROMBOI. It is hAIMATOS that is the genitive
and must modify one of the nominative nouns. It seems much more natural to
treat hAIMATOS as modifying QROMBOI, since hWSEI forms the contrast and
falls between the nominatives, which would lead us to believe that any
modifier for one of the nominatives would be on the side of hWSEI with the
nominative it modifies. Also, you could not make QROMBOI definite ("the
drops"), since the article is singular and agrees with hIDRWS. I hope this
is came out coherent. The translation "his sweat became like drops of blood"
seems to be the correct translation, and as I peruse several English
translations, this (or something very similar) seems to be the unanimous
choice. I have come to the conclusion that what is being described is sweat
that is so profuse it is like blood pouring from a severely wounded man. I
could be wrong on that count, though.

Steve LoVullo