From: Jason Hare (
Date: Thu Mar 30 2000 - 08:48:05 EST

Although we write WAW, we pronounce it like a V. The
reasoning is that the pronunciation of WAW used to be
like a W instead. The Sephardic pronunciation (I
believe) is that of a V. This is the one used in
Israel today. Before modern Hebrew was used and chose
this pronunciation the WAW was a W sound, therefore
for the sake of consistency most continue to use WAW
and say V. I hope this helps. (Well, actually, I
hope my understanding of the situation is accurate.)

Blessings be yours,

Jason Hare
Ozark Christian College

Do You Yahoo!?