Col. 2:13-14--syntax perplexity

From: Rodney J. Decker (rdecker@bbc.edu)
Date: Wed Mar 29 2000 - 11:44:54 EST

<x-flowed>I've noted that there is a significant difference in the punctuation at the
end of Col. 2:13. Some texts have a comma, some a period (or colon). That
is significant in that a major stop would force the first participle in v.
14 to go with the finite verb in v. 14 rather than with the preceding
finite verb in v. 13. Complicating that is the KAI in the middle of v. 14
(and, to a lesser degree, the lack of a connective at the beginning of v.
14). It puzzles me as to how this KAI functions if there is a period at the
end of v. 13. (With a comma it connects the two finite verbs in v. 13 &
14.) The comma seems to make the best sense of the syntax, and I don't see
anything that would have caused the newer texts (UBS3/4, NA25/26/27) to
change the more traditional comma (TR, majority text, WH) to a period.

(13) ... SUNZOWPOIHSEN hUMAS ... CARISAMENOS ... TA PARAPTWMATA. (14)
EXALEIYAS TO ... CEIROGRAFON ..., KAI AUTO HRKEN EK TOU MESOU PROSHLWSAS
AUTO TWi STAURWi.

Any explanations or suggestions are very much welcome! Thanks.

Rod

Rodney J. Decker, Th.D. Baptist Bible Seminary
Assoc. Prof./NT PO Box 800, Clarks Summit, PA 18411
rdecker@bbc.edu http://faculty.bbc.edu/rdecker/
The *Resources for NT Study* site is accessible at:
http://faculty.bbc.edu/rdecker/rd_rsrc.htm