Re: Eph 4: 22-24

From: Harold R. Holmyard III (
Date: Wed Apr 05 2000 - 22:45:50 EDT

Dear Dale,
     I accept all that you write. I still find the context of Ephesians
sufficient to indicate that what is new is a totally different kind of life
given by the Spirit and partaking of heaven. So the ramifications of the
new man of 2:15 extend in all directions. And use of the term "new man" in
4:24 may be inclusive of all the term's implications. The letter to the
Ephesians is not all about Jewish-Gentile relations, although it includes
that aspect of life. The greater part of the letter is not about
Jewish-Gentile relations.
     There are numerous indications that Ephesians and Colossians were
prison epistles written at the same time. A marked degree of overlap in
subject matter and terminology exists between the two. While your general
rule of not assuming technical terms is good, I feel quite certain that the
new man of Colossians 3:10 is the same as that of Eph 4:24. After all, the
two passages are quite parallel.

                                                Harold Holmyard