Re: Mark 7:4

From: Harold R. Holmyard III (
Date: Tue May 02 2000 - 14:23:35 EDT

Dear Wayne,
     It is interesting that you would translate BAPTIZW as referring to the
"washing" of anything, because I have long felt that this aspect of the
baptismal ceremony is often overlooked. We concentrate on the
identification with Jesus' death and resurrection, but the original
ceremony clearly implied a washing. And the church ordinance ought to
preserve this idea. See Acts 22:16:

"And now why tarriest thou? arise, and be baptized, and wash away thy sins,
calling on his name."

                                Harold Holmyard