Re: EK -EX

From: Steven R. LoVullo (sundoulos1@netzero.net)
Date: Wed May 03 2000 - 01:24:31 EDT

Dale,

There is no difference between EX and EK. The preposition proper is EX, but
EK is used before words beginning with a consonant, while EX is used before
words beginning with a vowel. The reason for this is euphony (i.e., it
sounds better). The Greeks did not like interconsonantal sigma (i.e., a
sigma that comes between two consonants), which is what you have if you
place EX before a word beginning with a consonant, since X is really the KS
combination. So, for example, if you used EX with PISTEWS, you would really
have EKS PISTEWS. Note how the S falls between the K and the P. This is a
no-no.

Steve Lo Vullo