Re: Mark 7:4

From: roseann (roseann@Intellisys.net)
Date: Wed May 03 2000 - 09:29:29 EDT

Hello Doug,
I agree with your statement. My question was geared to the idea/question
from another about how the word BAPTISMOUS is being used in regard to
cleaning tables/cups/pitchers and kettles....Mark 7:4. I notice in my
interlinear that in reference to the washing of hands the word RHANTIZONTAI
(sprinkle) is used, yet the root word for baptize is use in regard to the
washing of dishes...which I thought would indicate immersion. The confusion
came in my mind when the same word is used in regard to washing tables
(KJV) - my footnote adds, from some mss., couches!! NIV leaves out tables.
Another thing: if the washings whether of hands or utensils, were
CEREMONIAL washings I would think that the *washings* of Christianity would
not carry that connotation. Matt., Mark, Luke and John is chronologically
still under the Law system and therefore, ceremonial washings of Judaism
were intact, but wouldn't the immersion baptism under Christianity (after
it's inception in Acts 2) be... symbolic perhaps, but *not ceremonial*?
Thanks for your comments.
God bless,
Roseann Ekman
Thomas St. Church of Christ