Greek NT punctuation marks

From: Greg Kilbrai (
Date: Mon May 08 2000 - 11:35:33 EDT

Greetings. I was wondering about the origin of the punctuation marks in GNT,
and the question mark in particular. I already understand that these were
not in the manuscripts and added later by editors, along with word spacing
and the other punctuation marks.

Most of the punctuation marks seem to conform with those used in the English
language (commas, periods), so I was curious about:

1. the origin of using ";" as a question mark rather than the "?" used in
2. the raised "." used as a semicolon.

Is there any reason why versions of the GNT don't adopt the English
punctuation marks?

I'd appreciate an off-list response if this is too trivial for the main
membership on the list.

Thanks for your help with this.

Greg Kilbrai

FREE Personalized Email at