Re: looking for a book

From: Rodney J. Decker (
Date: Tue May 09 2000 - 08:43:13 EDT

<x-flowed> >Does anybody know of a book that gives Greek words and their corresponding
>English derivatives? I have often thought that such a book surely must exist
>but have not stumbled upon it just yet. It would certainly be handy and

In addition to the items listed, you might also note an older work:

Horace Addison Hoffman, *Everyday Greek: Greek Words in English, Including
Scientific Terms* (Univ./Chicago, 1919).

I assume that people using this approach realize the dangers of it: some
words do have a transparent etymology, but others are either not
transparent or the meaning deduced from it are either outright wrong or
anachronistic (e.g., relating DUNAMIS and dynamite).

Rodney J. Decker, Th.D. Baptist Bible Seminary
Assoc. Prof./NT PO Box 800, Clarks Summit, PA 18411
The *Resources for NT Study* site is accessible at: