Re: Fwd: Re: EPISTEUSAN with HSAN TETAGMENOI

From: Carlton Winbery (winberyc@speedgate.net)
Date: Sun May 14 2000 - 22:43:27 EDT

Kari Valdama via Carl Conrad
>>Also, if you want to do it manually, you can look those forms up in Tim
>>Friberg's Analytical Concordance of the Greek New Testament. Volume 2
>>Grammatical Focus. Baker. 1991.
>>
>>Look for the tag VIL* (for: Verb Indicative pLuperfect and the rest
>>whatever). It also lists the 86 occurrences on pages 1912-1914.
>>If I am not mistaken that work is on sale at the moment.
>>
>>Thus if you like books instead of computers, you are not out of luck. As to
>>Bible programmes, it might be so that Accordance is the only programme
>>available that can do a search like that.

I have Accordance and love it, but you and especially the one who raised
this question may benefit greatly from a good Morphology. I just happen to
know a good one by Brooks and Winbery UPA press. With the pluperfect (in
the chapter on indicative mood you will find the coverage of the tenses in
the indicative. There you get the morphology of each of six different types
of verbs and a complete list of each occurance in the NT including the
periphrastic forms.

If a person could master the morphology of chapter eight in our morphology,
that person would have little or no trouble with verb formation. Carl has
referred us to a web site that has a good summary of the syntactical uses.
These should be mastered before a person starts inventing new functions for
the pluperfect.

Dr. Carlton L. Winbery
Foggleman Professor of Religion
Louisiana College