AUTON LABONTA

From: Emory Pitts (emory2002@hotmail.com)
Date: Wed May 31 2000 - 00:41:52 EDT

<x-flowed>
LOUKAS 19:12

TIS EUGENHS EPOREUQH EIS CWRAN MAKRAN
LABEIN hEAUTWi BASILEIAN KAI UPOSTREYAI

LOUKAS 19:15

KAI EGENETO EN TWi EPANELQEIN
AUTON LABONTA THN BASILEIAN

I think most translate verse 15: “When he returned after receiving the
kingdom...”

Why do we translate this with the preposition “after?”

Earlier in verse 12 we are told that he went away to receive this kingdom;
so it makes sense to translate verse 15 with “after.” I guess I am trying to
understand why the Aorist LABONTA expresses antecedent time to another
Aorist verb. Of course, I am not 100 percent sure that it modifies another
Aorist, but it looks that way to me.

I understand that EGENETO with EN TWi plus the Infinitive expresses
contemporaneous time. Which I would then take as “It happened when he
returned.”

So the Aorist LABONTA happened before this. Is that what this Aorist
construction means?

Also, what is “it” happened referring to?

I realize my questions are fairly basic, but I really do appreciate

Thank you,

Mark "struggling with the basics" Wilson

<><