Re: Ephesians 4:11

From: George Athas (
Date: Sun Jun 04 2000 - 09:02:50 EDT

I don't think Paul makes a "pastors" and "teachers" the same role, but rather he puts them
on the same rung of the ladder in the Christian leadership hierarchy (if that's the
correct word to use). I think Paul deliberately works down in terms of hierarchy in order
to highlight that every role is as important as the next -- just like every part of the
body is important. The head first (Christ), followed by the rest of the neck, torso and
limbs -- all as important as each other. Thus, just as there should be no distinction
between Jew and Gentile within the church, so there should be no discrimination in terms
of role. I think that is Paul's point -- remember his main point in Ephesians is the unity
of the church which is made up of both Jews and Gentiles.

Best regards,
- University of Sydney
- Southern Cross College
- Anglican Chaplaincy, UNSW