From: Jeffrey B. Gibson (
Date: Thu Jun 08 2000 - 13:09:49 EDT

Jim West wrote:

> At 08:18 AM 6/7/00 -0700, you wrote:
> >Is the 1 volume abridgement of Kittel
> >adequate? Does it woefully
> >omit cardinal points
> >of lexical and theological
> >information?
> It is totally inadequate- it is the readers digest condensed version. Save
> your money and your soul and get the whole set rather than this circumcised
> and sawed off useless edition.

For what it's worth, I concur with Jim's evaluation -- though the inadequacies of the
work don't really become apparent until you compare the condensed version with the
original. It's only then that you see just what you're missing, namely, all the
citations and details of discussion that, if seen, would lead one to say that almost
every statement in the abridged volume would have to be qualified in some way.

Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon.)
7423 N. Sheridan Road #2A
Chicago, Illinois 60626