Pronunciation of "Winer"

From: Randy Leedy (
Date: Sat Jun 10 2000 - 22:41:45 EDT

I've read the name of George Benedict Winer often, but I've never been
forced to pronounce it until now, in teaching a summer session on
Advanced Greek Grammar. If I've ever heard it pronounced I can't
recall it. So I'm at a loss. He wrote in German, yet his first and
middle names are clearly English. "WY-ner" ("Y" = long i), though,
sounds a bit strange to me. And I can't come up with a satisfying
German pronunciation, either, with out an "e" to keep that "i" company
on one side or the other or both.

I'll put forth my first guess as the least of the evils, but if
someone could please confirm it or enlighten my ignorance, I'd be much

Randy Leedy
Bob Jones University
Greenville, SC