[b-greek] Re: 1 Tim. 2:12, meaning of AUQENTEIN

From: clayton stirling bartholomew (c.s.bartholomew@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Fri Aug 11 2000 - 14:41:25 EDT

on 08/11/00 9:49 AM, Robert R Monti wrote:

> I'm trying to get some in-depth information on the
> meaning of AUQENTEIN in 1 Tim. 2:12. Unfortunately, Kittel and BAGD have
> been of surprisingly little use (I guess this is due to the fact that
> this verse is the only one where AUQENTEW appears in the NT). Anybody
> have any suggestions on what sort of extra-biblical sources I could
> consult? I haven't had the chance to check the Septuagint.

Robert,

In-depth information is a little hard to find. Spicq does not speak on this
word nor does EDNT. However, G.W. Knight (NIGTC, 1992) does have a few words
to say about it. His conclusion after much research is that AUQENTEIN in
1Tim. 2:12 has no negative overtones but simply means to exercise authority
over. He calls it a "function" word, meaning that it describes a kind of
activity and not an office like Bishop or Presbyter.

Knight cites his own article in NTS which you might be able to find in your
library. Knight, G.W. III, "AUQENTEW in Reference to Women in 1 Tim. 2:12,"
NTS 30 (1984) 164-167. He also cites a response to his article:
Wilshire, L.E. "The TLG Computer and Further Reference to AUQENTEW in 1 Tim.
2:12," NTS 34 (1988) 120-134.

For a most intriguing recent case study in Gender and Authority issues read
Percival Grave's second book of his three volume biography of Robert Graves,
"Robert Graves, The years with Laura Riding 1926-1940."

Clay

--
Clayton Stirling Bartholomew
Three Tree Point