[b-greek] Greek Word Order

From: Gert Young (ANCIENT6@AKAD.SUN.AC.ZA)
Date: Thu Aug 24 2000 - 10:35:53 EDT

Hallo,

This is my maiden 'posting voyage' so I hope that my message is
not saturated with mistakes.

Firstly I would like to know, with reference to word order, how you
would describe New Testament greek. It seems that the traditional
consensus is to describe the word order as 'relatively free'. For me
the issue is not whether this is an acceptable description or not. I
would just like to know if it would be acceptable to describe Greek
as a SVO (subject-verb-object) language.

Secondly I want to know whether we find so called raising verbs in
BG. I know English use 3 raising verbs, namely "seem", "appear"
and, I think, "happen". Do we find verbs in BG that, like these
English verbs, are not capable of assinging theta-roles?

Sincerely
Gert