[b-greek] Re: Mk 10:20 aspectology

From: clayton stirling bartholomew (c.s.bartholomew@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Tue Aug 29 2000 - 15:59:08 EDT

on 08/29/00 12:36 PM, CWestf5155@aol.com wrote:

> Well, Systemic Linguistics doesn't think that everything is a choice. The
> principle is: when there is no choice, there is no formal significance--no
> semantic load with the form. And SL recognizes linguistic phenomena such as
> idioms and collocation--virtually no choice there. However, when there is a
> choice, then in that case the choice has meaning (and I'll go on record to
> say this is true for lexis too, though lexis doesn't involve a system like
> the verbal system).

This is a good clarification. Much appreciated. I do wonder if a lot of the
less expreinced advocates of aspectology understand this. They don't seem

> I think part of our problem is that aspect has assumed monstrous proportions
> way out of perspective with the role it plays. Aspect is not the key to
> understanding Greek--it is one of many many things that convey meaning.

Yes. I am with you on this one. It has "assumed monstrous proportions" and I
think it is about time that we enlist Markuk or Baal to slay this dragon. It
is a nuisance to have this dragon lurking in the "deep" and coming to the
surface now and then to cause trouble.