[b-greek] Re: Philippians 1:6

From: Daniel Buck (dbuck@briercrest.ca)
Date: Tue Sep 05 2000 - 08:24:33 EDT

Good to have you on the list Holly!

Holly Vipond wrote:

> *snip*
>
> > So, my question is generally how one would translate this.
> > Specifically, would
> >
> > "that the one who has begun a good work in you(pl) will continue to
> > complete it until the day of Christ Jesus"
> >
> > or
> > "that the one who has begun a good work in you(pl) will
> continue until
> > he completes it at the day of Christ Jesus"
>
> *snip*
>
> Aren't the meanings of these two translations essentially the
> same? In both
> cases we are saying, "he began something then; he's continuing it now; it
> will be complete in the day of Jesus."

The understanding of the activity of the good work being performed for the
benefit of the Philippian saints is essentially the same in both
translations as I see it. The distinction comes in understanding what is the
subject of EPITELESEI. The participial phrase hO ENARCAMENOS EN HUMIN ERGON
AGAQON offers two possibilities, either 1) hO ENARCAMENOS (God) or 2) ERGON
AGAQON (the activity, which could be either salvation or their participation
in the support and advance of the gospel).
In the first translation the idea could be emphasized as "he will complete
IT" with the focus laying on the assurance of the culmination of the
activity which has been begun. The second translation would emphasize the
actor "HE will complete it", more of a statement of ontology.

Essentially both ideas are important to the interpretation of the verse
though one may hold a greater prominence over the other. To that end, the
connection of v.6 to EUXARISTW in v.3 may suggest the reading of "that the
one who has begun a good work in you(pl) will continue until
he completes it at the day of Christ Jesus."

Daniel E. Buck
Assistant Professor of NT/Theology
Briercrest Bible College
510 College Dr.
Caronport, SK. S0H 0S0
http://www.briercrest.ca

"If you lack knowledge, what have you acquired? If you have acquired
knowledge, what do you lack?" (Midrash Rabbah Numbers 19.3)