From: Jim West (jwest@highland.net)
Date: Sun Sep 17 2000 - 23:28:16 EDT

At 10:08 PM 9/17/00 -0500, you wrote:

>Is this --
> 1. a Semitism, possibly for emphasis?

it is a literal rendering of the hebrew "ish ish"... which would best be
translated by "every single man". cf ex 36;4, lev 15;2, 17;3,8,10, ps 87;5,
est 1;8 1qs9;12, 4qcata 1;11. it is a fairly common expression- the
doubling of the noun simply makes emphatic that EACH one is... x.

i think the lxx merely renders this expression woodenly here.
you might want to see what it does with the other biblical references listed

>Also, I was wondering if the NT uses a construction similar
>to this? The only thing I can think of off the top of my head that
>resembles it is something like AMHN AMHN in John.

i cant recall one either. the doubled amen of john is, interestingly, an
amphatic construct as well. in rabbinic argument a couple of things
happened... first, the "amen" was declared at the END of a discussion
whereas in john jesus always BEGINS his discourses with it... which in a
sense means that for jesus the matter at hand is settled before anyone else
can say a word about it. second, the amen of rabbinic discourse was
singularly enunciated. jesus doubles it...

i will let you draw your own conclusions about what john is trying to say
about jesus by doing things this way.

"When the authorities are clever, and the poor are loyal, it is the effect
of the blessing of Arrata" Sumerian Proverb.

Jim West, ThD