[b-greek] 1 John 2:3 and another small question

From: Mark Wilson (emory2oo2@hotmail.com)
Date: Sun Oct 01 2000 - 21:43:08 EDT

<x-flowed>

1 John 2:3

KAI EN TOUTWi GINWSKOMEN hOTI EGNWKAMEN AUTON, EAN TAS ENTOLAS AUTOU THRWMEN

Are there any objections to the following paraphrase or translation:

"And in this, namely, if we diligently guard and honor his commandments, we
know that we are in a state of [intimate] knowledge of him."

How would you capture the shift from the present GINWSKOMEN to the perfect
EGNWKAMEN ?

I have added [intimate] in an attempt to capture the idea of knowledge in a
relationship sense, but perhaps "intimate" is too strong.

How can I translate this in such a way as to not imply that there is only
ONE state of "knowing" someone?

I get the idea that this is dealing with "knowing" someone in the sense of a
relationship, not in the sense of attaining more raw data about someone.

Also, what does "passim" mean? (It is not used as a Greek word. I see this
word in a commentary I am now reading. As in: John 6:20, 14:11, 1 John 1:4,
2 John 3, passim.)

Thank you,

Mark Wilson

http://profiles.msn.com.