[b-greek] Re: EN EKKLHSIAi (EN TAIS EKKLHSIAIS)

From: Mike Sangrey (mike@sojurn.lns.pa.us)
Date: Fri Oct 06 2000 - 08:27:00 EDT

I'll take the easy one. :-)

emory2oo2@hotmail.com said:
> 1 Cor. 14:35
> EI DE TI MAQEIN QELOUSIN EN OIKWi TOUS IDIOUS ANDRAS EPERWTATWSAN
> AISCRON GAR ESTI GUNAIZIN EN EKKLHSIAi LALEIN

> (Is it just me, or is not EN OIKWi a bit awkward? For proper
> agreement, I would have expected EN TOIS OIKOIS.)

Step back from the text a little.

If I say, "There's a group of guys at XYZ, corp; they all work at home", it is
technically a bit awkward. However, English speakers are very comfortable
with it. For proper agreement, you would expect "at homes", or perhaps, "in
the homes." Technically correct, but, ironically, a bit awkward, like a
sentence with an assumed subject and verb. ;-)

EN OIKWi was just the Greek way of saying "at home".

--
Mike Sangrey
mike@sojurn.lns.pa.us