[b-greek] Re: hUMAS, Eph 2.1

From: Mike Sangrey (mike@sojurn.lns.pa.us)
Date: Mon Oct 16 2000 - 11:21:04 EDT

 Kevin Smith <kgs@iafrica.com> said:
> Eph 2:1, KAI hUMAS ONTAS NEKROUS TOIS PARAPTWMASIN KAI TAS hAMARTIAIS
> hUMWN.

> Question: Why is hUMAS accussative? It seems to be the object of an
> implied verb, but what verb?

I think this is an excellent question. I'd like to offer my opinion and
see how those more expert than I respond.

Paul states the object of the proposition (or concept, if you prefer):
hUMAS and then proceeds to characterize and define this object. Then in
verse 4, he finally (!) states the subject of the proposition: hO QEOS
PLOUSIOS. This subject he also proceeds to characterize and define in a
way which is similar to what he has just done with hUMAS, though not in
quite the expansive way he did in verses 1-3.

What's the verb? Well, what did God do? SUNEZWOPOIHSEN (verse 5). I
think that is why, after Paul finally gets to the verb, the climax of his
statement, he blurts out: CARITI ESTE SESWiSMENOI. What appears to be
rather "stuttery" (you may read that as anacoluthon) statement, is the
result of complex clausal structure to evince his climax.

I think the NIV has captured hUMAS ONTAS... well in its translation: "As
for you, you were dead..." Note the `comma'.

Paul is essentially saying, "I'm making a proposition here. The object is
`you'. The subject is `the God who is rich'. I want to get both the full
explanation of the object and subject on the table first because I'm
heading to the prominent, climatic statement. The main verb is `placed in
a raised-from-a-corpse state'. YOU ARE SAVED BY GRACE."

BTW, I'll be interested in Carl's response. He and I have had a rather
helpful-to-me exchange regarding Eph. 2:1-10. He should feel free to
bring in that discussion if he thinks it helpful to others (or me!).
--
Mike Sangrey
mike@sojurn.lns.pa.us