Re: [b-greek] 5 Case v. 8 Case

From: Jonathan Robie (Jonathan.Robie@SoftwareAG-USA.com)
Date: Tue Oct 17 2000 - 10:53:53 EDT

At 06:03 PM 10/16/00 -0400, Clay A. Kahler wrote:<br>
of my preference of 8 case greek over 5 case.&nbsp; I mentioned that it allowed<br>
room for misinterpretation, and that this might have resulted in some of<br>
the liberalism that we have today.</blockquote><br>
There are only 5 syntactic forms. The 8 case system requires interpretation of which function the syntactic form is serving. Because of that, once you characterize one form more precisely according to the function you feel it takes, you have ruled out some interpretations. Sometimes this is clear-cut, at other times a form could easily be interpreted as having one of two different functions.<br>
I think it is generally best to start by understanding what the Greek forms might legitimately mean, and leave aside labels like &quot;liberalism&quot; or &quot;fundamentalism&quot; entirely. These labels tend to make us want to be open to seeing only certain meanings in the Greek text. If our purpose, in approaching the text, is to reconstruct what we already believe, there's no point in going to the trouble to learn Greek. Let's start by figuring out what the text seems to mean - and in some cases, there are several legitimate interpretations.<br>
Jonathan<br>