[b-greek] Re: Sexy words

From: Daniel Riaño (danielrr@retemail.es)
Date: Wed Oct 18 2000 - 10:26:03 EDT

<x-flowed>
>At 08:02 -0400 18/10/00, Bart Ehrman wrote:

> I'm interested in finding Greek terms involving sex and sexual
>activities, terms that would have been vulgar or crude (the phi-words in
>Greek :-)) but that were given euphemistic renderings by Liddell and Scott
>(or other 19th century lexicographers).
>
> Any words come to mind?

Better than giving you the first words "involving sex and sexual
activities" that come to our minds (something which could turn
dangerous in inappropriate post-Freudian hands), you can consult the
treatise on insults (II p.C.n) "de blasphemiis" by Suetonius (ed.
Taillardat, J., París [Collection des Universités de France. Publiée
sous le patronage de l'Association Guillaume Budé] 1967) or Jeffrey
Henderson's book (1975). "The Maculate Muse." New Haven and London,
Yale University Press.