[b-greek] Re: Mounce NIV English-GNT

From: Will Wagers (hyle@e-denton.com)
Date: Fri Nov 03 2000 - 10:29:47 EST

<x-flowed>
Carl Conrad writes:

>And how many more, I wonder, will, thus empowered, make the claim that they
>understand the Greek NT? I certainly begrudge nobody access to Greek, but I
>nevertheless marvel at how the allurement of a simple understanding of the
>Biblical text and its language is packaged and sold--aye, and at bargain
>prices!

What an odd sentiment for an educator to express. And, what an odd
audience to express it to. And, what an odd era in which to hold it.

I should think that the translation of the Greek into other languages
and packaged to give away for free has lead to more false notions
of understanding the NT by orders of magnitude, whether the misled
has subsequently acquired adequate Greek or not.

And, of course, even true Greek scholars are hardly immune to the
primary cause of false understanding--hubris.

As one of many who will probably forever remain in the interlinear stage,
I hope elitism never re-asserts itself in either education or religion.

Will Wagers "Reality is the best metaphor."