[b-greek] Clarification

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Fri Nov 17 2000 - 12:30:34 EST

>Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 11:09:27 -0600
>To: "Bob Vincent" <rbvin@earthlink.net>
>From: "Carl W. Conrad" <cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu>
>Subject: Re: Clarification
>Bcc:
>At 10:26 AM -0600 11/17/00, Bob Vincent wrote:
>>Dear Dr. Conrad,
>>
>>You wrote:
>>> Finally Available!
>>> A Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament & Other
>>> Early Christian Literature, Third, Revised Edition
>>> Walter Bauer, W. F. Arndt, W. Gingrich, & F. W. Danker
>>> Univ of Chicago Press Hardcover $85.00 $64.99
>>
>>This is the third edition; there have only been two before, correct? I
>>bought the first in 1965, the second in 1980.
>>
>>Amazon.com calls this the fourth edition and lists it as unpublished as yet:
>>"Hardcover - 1000 pages 4th Rev edition (November 30, 2000) University of
>>Chicago Press; ISBN: 0226039331. Our Price: $85.00 This item will be
>>published on November 30, 2000. You may order it now and we will ship it to
>>you when it arrives."
>>http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0226039331/o/qid=974478265/sr=2-1/106
>>-0809616-8422036
>>
>>Would you care to post a comment about this?

I really do believe that what Dove has described as the Third Edition is
identical with what Amazon lists as the fourth edition; the publication
date was intended, I think, to coincide with this week's meeting of
SBL/AAAR. And here's what I found at Barnes & Noble's site--Note this calls
it a 3rd edition, but calls it a 4th revision--and the ISBN is the same for
Amazon and B&N; Dove did not give an ISBN, but it looks like it may be the
same thing.

A Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament and Other Early Christian
Literature
Walter Bauer Frederick W. Danker (Editor)

Our Price: $52.00
Retail Price: $65.00
You Save: $13.00 (20%)
This book will be available November 30th, place your advance order now and
we will ship it when it arrives!
Format: Hardcover, 3rd ed., 1000pp.
ISBN: 0226039331
Publisher: University of Chicago Press