[b-greek] Re: question about james 5:14

From: Mike Sangrey (mike@sojurn.lns.pa.us)
Date: Sun Nov 26 2000 - 20:17:51 EST

"Steven R. Lo Vullo" <doulos@chorus.net> said:
> Perhaps with "expressed" rather than "asked." Surely a rhetorical
> question is "expressed." I think perhaps there is a little bit of
> semantic nitpicking here. :-)

Actually, it's sort of a perverse marriage of syntactic and semantic
nitpicking. Perhaps we could switch to being pragmatic? <chuckle>

> Remember, in the context of my response
> the only point I was making was that even a rhetorical question is
> *recognized* as a question. Otherwise we would not call it a
> rhetorical *question*.

Syntactically, it "appears" as a question. Semantically, it isn't. If it
were, the author/speaker would wait for an answer.

It is a clever way of involving the reader though, don't you think?

Mike Sangrey
Landisburg, Pa.
               It's OK to think differently, just think together.
               Sooner or later that will bring out our faults;
               then we can deal with them...together.