[b-greek] Re: hOUTOS/EKEINOS

From: Harold R. Holmyard III (hholmyard@ont.com)
Date: Sun Dec 03 2000 - 21:00:34 EST

Dear Roger,

My study of the phrase "this generation" in the Gospels suggested to me
that in every other case it referred to the people of Jesus' generation. So
I am impressed by the argument that you mention, and I interpret Matt 24:34
conformably to it. Of course, it is possible that Jesus had shifted his
perspective into an eschatological time frame, within which "this
generation" could be a near demonstrative. But the use of EKEINOS in verse
36 of that future setting, evidently in contrast with hOUTOS in verse 34,
argues against the use of hOUTOS in verse 34 as a near demonstrative within
an apocalyptic setting. It seems to speak of Jesus' generation.

                                Yours,
                                Harold Holmyard