[b-greek] Abraham or Sara?

From: Rafael Rodriguez (b_greek@hotmail.com)
Date: Wed Dec 06 2000 - 10:46:53 EST

This is my first post, so I humbly ask for patience.

In Hebrews 11.11, UBS 4 Rev. reads: PISTEI KAI AUTH SARRA STEIRA DUNAMIN EIS
KATABOLHN SPERMATOS ELABEN KAI PARA KAIRON hHLIKIAS, EPEI PISTON hHGHSATO
TON EPAGGEILAMENON. The first phrase (PISTEI KAI AUTH SARRA STEIRA DUNAMIN)
is listed as a 'C' reading, but the variants do not seem to affect the
identification of the subject of this sentence.

My question is: does anyone know why both the NIV (1984) and the NRSV (1989)
make Abraham the subject? The NIV blatantly supplies the so-far missing
Abraham, while NRSV understands the subject of ELABEN simply as "he." Is
there any reason not to understand Sara as the one described as faithful
(Genesis accounts notwithstanding ;o} )? Thanks for the feedback . . .

His,
rafael rodriguez . . .