[b-greek] Luke 2:2a, final questions

From: Mark Wilson (emory2oo2@hotmail.com)
Date: Wed Dec 13 2000 - 10:20:07 EST

<x-flowed>

Luke 2:2a

hAUTH APOGRAFH PRWTH
EGENETO hHGEMONEUONTOS THS S. K.

I really am not trying to think too far outside the box, but
by suggesting "wild" translations, and then getting corrected,
(thanks to many of you, not scolded too bad)
actually helps me better understand the text.

So I really do appreciate those who respond to my suggestions!

And, here I go again:

How about either of these translations:

i) This is the census, the first one (of two), that occurred when Q.

My attempt here is to understand PRWTH as Comparative.

Also, specifying the census as the one that took place when
Q. was Governor seems more than sufficient, so for Luke to
feel obligated to add PRWTH, seems to me to say he is
distinguishing two events that could be confused. (And unfortunately,
the "first" census to which Luke refers has yet to find its way
in to the historical records. Unless this first census is "part of" the
one issued in 8 B.C. Perhaps it began in Egypt, and later (several years)
was required of the other cities.) So, I would understand the addition of
PRWTH
as parenthetical, yielding:

ii) This is the census (the first one) that occurred when Q. was Governor.

I guess my question now is can we, without the article, understand
this PRWTH as appositional to "this is the census?"

Thank you,

Mark Wilson