[b-greek] roast your own plus questions on 'simple vocab'

From: Randall Buth (ButhFam@compuserve.com)
Date: Wed Dec 27 2000 - 13:25:11 EST

CAIRETE, I would like feedback on choosing well-formed Greek
for beginning students of Koine.

I'll start with a recent anecdote from the list:
egrapsen clay

>My favorite grammar is now Accordance. I like to roast my own. <

Nice coffee.
It could use some beans from more 1st century texts, though. Does it search
TLG?

Now to questions. They have the wonderful quality of leaving a sense of
uncertainty,
despite their simplicity and having worked with the language thirty years
in the other direction.

Are you happy with the following:

1.
'he is pouring water into a cup'
       EIS POTHRION EGCUNNEI UDWR
(this verb EN-CEIN doesn't occur in NT and is in a Koine form with
-CUNNEI)

2.
'the cup of water' (referring to a cup of water currently full)
     TO POTHRION TOU UDATOS
(the second article seems necessary but I have no exact examples)

3.
'she is tired' AUTH EKLUOMENH ESTIN
(a bit strong, 'giving out'/'fainting'/=exhausted but occurs in NT)

4.
kids (10-15years old) O PAIS, H PAIS and NEANISKOS, KORASION

5.
'full, satisfied' after eating= EMPEPLHSTAI, EMPEPLHSMENOI EISIN
(a close call, but perfect CORTASMENOS doesn't occur in NT)

6. 'is riding an animal' ELAUVEI IPPON/ONON//arma/k.t.l.
(literally 'drives' an animal, chosen for cars in modern)

7.
'seated on an animal' EPIBEBHTWS EPI IPPON/k.t.l.
(this EPIBAINEIN is close to 'riding'
but would seem to be used in conjunction with a verb of movement)

If any have resources, citations or advice on such common vocabulary
I would be much obliged.

And if you'd like to chew on more, I can send them your way.
Think of this as a follow up to what happens when people actually want to
communicate with this language. It's harder than one might think at first
glance, but I think it is doable and certainly worth the effort.

EUCARISTW UMIN

Randall Buth
Chair, Hebrew Language
Jerusalem University College