[b-greek] Re: article beginning a clause?

From: Steven R. Lo Vullo (doulos@chorus.net)
Date: Sat Dec 30 2000 - 15:42:53 EST

On 12/30/00 11:07 AM, Suedaleg@aol.com wrote:

> Luke 9:46 reads EISHLQE DE DIALOGISMOS EN AUTOIS, TO TIS AN EIH MEIZWN
> AOUTWN.
>
> The article starting the second clause (neuter nom/acc sing) having no noun
> to match must introduce a phrase, but appears to introduce the entire clause.
> This I can understand. It seemed the clause modifies DIALOGISMOS, except
> the genders do not match. If TO is to be understood as accusative it could
> modify the entire sentance (Eishlqe . . . AUTOIS) but is this possible. It
> seems difficult in English.
>
> I have tentatively translated this "A dispute arose among them, over which
> would be the greatest of them." the clause futher explaining "dispute".

The neuter article is sometimes used to substantivize clauses, statements,
and quotations (cf. Mt 19.18; Mk 9.23; Rm 8.26; 13.9; Ep 4.9; Hb 12.27).
When so used it is often anaphoric. I think it is anaphoric in Lk 9.46,
referring back to DIALOGISMOS (though, because it is neuter, in a loose
way). If so, it is nominative. It functions either appositionally ("that is,
who would be the greatest of them") or epexegetically ("over who would be
the greatest of them"). On the whole, epexegesis seems most likely, since
it seems to makes the best sense.

Steve Lo Vullo,
Madison, WI