[b-greek] SUNH added to DIKAIOS - follow-up

From: Mark Wilson (emory2oo2@hotmail.com)
Date: Wed Jan 03 2001 - 10:18:53 EST

<x-flowed>
I actually was not overly interested in whether or not
the objective or subjective genitive was in view here, my
interest is more directed toward the translating of
PISTEWS as faithful + ness, as opposed to faith.

I wrote:

------
Rom. 3:22a

DIKAIOSUNH DE QEOU DIA PISTEWS IHSOU CRISTOU

It seems to me that the Greeks had a suffix that converted, for example, a
noun (faith) into an abstract noun (faithfulness), just as in this very
verse DIKAIOS has the abstract suffix SUNH to make righteous
"righteousness."
-----

It seems to me that "faith" is a rather different idea altogether
than "faithfulness." How can PISTIS be translated as BOTH?

In other words, I would have thought that in order to convert PISTIS
into "faithfulness" there would have been a SUNH suffix added to it.
(Just as DIKAIOS.) Or, perhaps some form of PISTOS.

Thank you,

Mark Wilson